It’s not often that a whiskey release is entirely inspired by comic books and folklore, but that is the inspiration for Diageo’s highly anticipated Special Releases Scotch Whisky collection.
Experimenting with extended secondary maturation techniques and new cask finishes, including Tawny Port and Red Moscato to impart different flavours, this cask-strength whisky collection hails from some of Diageo’s oldest whisky dynasties in Scotland.
The journey begins with range, hand-selected by Master Blender Dr. Craig Wilson and continues through the experimental art design of illustrators Kevin Tong and Ken Taylor.
Striking colours and evocative drawings tell stories inspired by mythological and mysterious creatures, creating the ultimate elusive experience for those daring enough to reimagine what the world of whisky has to offer.
“Elusive Expressions is a boundary-pushing collection with flavours and finishes that truly redefine what cask-strength whiskies can be, explained Special Releases Master Blender Dr Craig Wilson.
“From abundantly rich to strikingly rare flavours, each one is vividly brought to life with new energy. Featuring some of our oldest whisky dynasties, we’ve embraced the flavour contrasts within the collection to create an unexpected whisky experience.”
The collection includes:
- Mortlach – ‘The Lure of the Blood Moon’ – A wonderfully intense, structured Mortlach that ensures the meaty “Beast of Dufftown” in a deep, spicy, ruby-red fruitiness forged in a highly unusual combination of maturation casks
- The Singleton of Glen Ord 15-Year-Old – ‘The Enchantress of the Ruby Solstice’ – A lively expression of The Singleton of Glen Ord; smooth and sweet, with elegant winey notes intermingled with luscious red fruits, it is also spicy-dry, with a gingery heat
- Lagavulin 12-Year-Old – ‘The Flames of the Phoenix’ – An elemental Lagavulin from virgin oak and our smokiest reserves, in which rich, peaty casks lead saltiness, spice and smoke on their eternal dance with deep sweetness.
- Talisker 11-Year-Old – ‘The Lustrous Creature of the Depths’ – First-fill ex-bourbon casks gift layers of flavour; a luminous spiced sweetness bathes storm-tossed notes of smoke and sea in its irresistible glow.
- Clynelish 12-Year-Old – ‘The Wild Cat’s Golden Gaze’ – An unusual Clynelish with just a slight trace of waxiness: the finishing casks have added sweetness and spiciness, developing the distillery character in an interesting way
- Cardhu 16-Year-Old – ‘The Hidden Paradise of Black Rock’ – A richly honeyed Cardhu with lush, tropically sweet, rum cask rounded flavours and peppery wood-spice, which combine to create a vibrant taste of paradise
- Oban 10-Year-Old – ‘The Celestial Blaze’ – Gentle on the nose, with maritime aromas, this supernatural Oban has a rich personality on the palate; a second maturation in Amontillado casks gently bringing new layers of vibrancy and flavour.
- Cameron Bridge 26-Year-Old – ‘The Knight’s Golden Triumph’ – Marking its first inclusion in the Special Releases collection, the Cameron Bridge is a rarely seen, regal whisky with a rich, sweet nature and a spicy, peppery finish
Flame of the Phoenix
- 25ml Lagavulin 12 Years Old 2022 Special Release
- 50 ml cold Lapsang Souchong Tea
- 100ml Ginger Ale
Garnish: Pineapple leaf / lime wedge
Brew, strain and chill some lapsang souchong tea. Measure Lagavulin and tea into a highball glass. Add ginger ale. Top with ice
TIP: Brew tea in advance and refrigerate for the perfect serve!
Creature of the Depths
- 30ml Talisker 11 Years Old 2022 Special Release
- 20 ml Gooseberry Cordial
- 15ml Fig Leaf Liquer
Garnish: Dill + Pickled Gooseberry
Add all ingredients to a mixing glass. Fill with cubed ice, then stir, Strain over a fresh block of ice in a whisky glass and then garnish
TIP: Use a really cold ice block that’s the perfect size for your glass!
40ml The Singleton Glen Ord 15 Years Old 2022 Special Release
40 ml miso and seaweed Vermouth
6 drops liquorice bitters
Garnish: Nori sheet
Stir all ingredients with ice in a mixing glass. Strain into a small cocktail glass, then garnish
NB: To make the miso and seawood Vermouth – Combine 750ml Vermouth, 2 tsp miso paste & 2 strips of seaweed and leave to infuse for an hour, then strain through a coffee filter.