Now while we’re not normally that big on baking, we couldn’t go past this great cake and cocktail combo. It’s not only easy to make at home but it also takes advantage of those amazing WhistlePig PiggyBack Rye whiskey caramel swirls.
So once your cake’s in the oven, grab your cocktail shaker and whip up The Whiskey Biz cocktail to experience the ultimate melt-in-your-mouth dessert pairing.
Whiskey Biz Ganache Topped Layer Cake
- 1 pint Whiskey Biz Topped ice cream, melted
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 8 oz. white chocolate
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 3 oz. caramel sauce
- 2 oz. WhistlePig PiggyBack RyeOpens a new window
- Put 4 oz. of white chocolate on a baking tray and place in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until the chocolate starts to have a light golden colour. Remove from oven, cool, and crush into small pieces in a bowl. Chop 3.5 oz of additional, non-caramelized white chocolate and add to the bowl. Reserve the final ½ oz. of white chocolate as garnish.
- Heat the heavy cream to scalding, pour over the chopped chocolate and let sit until melted. Stir, strain into a bowl to remove any remaining chunks, cover with plastic wrap (sticking it to the top of the mixture), and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the cake, mix together the ice cream and flour. Spray a 6” round, 3” deep cake pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake at 350°F until a toothpick comes out clean 40 – 50 mins. Place on a wire cooling rack and cool to room temperature.
- Put the caramel sauce into a small bowl and add the WhistlePig PiggyBack Rye. Stir to combine. To assemble the cake, cut the cake into 3 even layers, brush the top of each layer with the whiskey caramel and let soak in. Reserve a small amount to drizzle on top.
- Whip the white chocolate ganache until thick and creamy. Do not over whip.
- Divide ganache into 3 parts, use 2 parts in between the cake layers, put the 3rd part into a pastry bag with a star tip to decorate the top with piped stars to cover. Decorate with chopped ½ oz of white chocolate, and drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce
The Whiskey Biz Cocktail
1 ½ oz. WhistlePig PiggyBack RyeOpens a new window
1 oz. caramel base (recipe below)
1 oz. brown sugar simple syrup (recipe below)
1 dash chocolate bitters
2 oz. Whiskey Biz Topped ice cream, tempered
- Make the brown sugar simple syrup by combining ¼ cup light brown sugar and ¼ cup water in a glass measuring cup. Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar has melted. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely before using.
- Make the caramel base by combining 2 oz. caramel sauce with either 3 oz. half and half or 3 oz. WhistlePig PiggyBack Rye Whiskey. The latter results in a boozier cocktail. Pour both ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- To prepare the cocktail, measure the rye whiskey, caramel base, brown sugar simple syrup, chocolate bitters and ice into a cocktail shaker. Top with the Whiskey Biz Topped ice cream. Shake to combine. Pour into a rocks or coupe glass.